Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice
Members shall abide by the Code of Ethics of the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists
The Code of Ethics of the Society requires that every member shall:
- Practice care, discretion and good judgement in fulfilling cardiology testing upon only those patients referred by the physician for testing;
- without discrimination, provide testing for patients with full respect to their dignity and confidentiality;
- at all times, conduct one’s private and professional life in such a manner as to maintain integrity and confidence in the member and his/her profession;
- maintain and update a curricula that will be recognized as the educational standards of the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists;
- be actively engaged in a current continuing education program, or credit system, so as to update and maintain levels of competency which is vital to maintaining and advancing one’s self and profession;
- remain worthy of the trust that is invested in us by our physicians, colleagues and patients;
- be familiar with and abide by the Standards of Practice for the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists and to understand that actively participating in and supporting the Society is a professional responsibility of each member.
STANDARDS OF PRACTICE
Members of the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists shall maintain the Standards of Practice herein prescribed in the performance of their profession.
The technologist carries out responsibility for the patient’s safety.
The technologist shall promote an environment in which the spiritual beliefs, customs and values of the patient are respected.
The technologist shall respect the confidentiality of matters pertaining to colleagues, other health care workers and patients.
The technologist shall not influence any patient for the purpose of affecting change of the referring physician.
The technologist shall assume responsibility for professional decisions made in the practice of the profession, but understand the diagnosis is outside the scope of the profession.
Interpretation of tests shall not be given to patients by the technologist.
The technologist shall willingly participate in the education and training of the Canadian Society of Cardiology Technologists candidates or members where applicable.